Did you know that meat is the No. 1 climate and planet killer?
According to the FAO, the agricultural livestock industry produces more greenhouse gases than the use of petrol for cars, trucks and other transportation together.
- At least 51 % of all greenhouse gas emissions, very likely much more, are a result of the poisonous meat industry according the latest studies from the Worldwatch Institute.
- Livestock industry uses 30% of the world’s surface, including 33% of agricultural land used for planting animal feed.
-The agricultural livestock industry is the number one threat for the ever decreasing resources. An enormous amount of water, land, food etc. is used to produce the feed for livestock animals.
- Livestock animals eat more protein than they produce. For every 1 kg of animal protein produced, animals consume on average 6 kg of plant protein, in the form of cereal and green fodder.
- It takes more than 100,000 liters of water to produce 1 kg of beef and approximately 900 liters to produce 1 kg of wheat. You can take shower for one year with the water used for 1 kg of beef.
- A child dies of hunger every 2-3 seconds. The 760 million tons of grain that is consumed yearly by farm animals worldwide would be enough to cover the worldwide food shortage 14 times.
Thank you for your attention.
UN urges global move to meat and dairy-free diet (Guardian Article)
Chinese: You can watch the video '周一请吃素' that was shot by Chinese celebrities: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTM4MzMzODA0.html